Located on Johnson Mesa, Bell was a small agricultural town that had a post office from 1891-1933. The remnants of Bell today are limited to the St. John’s church and the Johnson Mesa Cemetery. Whatever other buildings once existed at the Bell town site have been completely obliterated.
The stone church is well-maintained and is still used today for occasional weddings and the Johnson Mesa Reunion.
No one lives year-round on the flat top of Johnson Mesa but the grassland pastures and volcanic peaks are used seasonally for grazing. Historic homesteads are scattered around the mesa.
The road over Johnson Mesa is a scenic summer evening drive, but best avoided during winter weather.