Located near the small town of White Oaks, the town site of Jicarilla is located on Forest Service land. Although the town officially existed only from 1892 – 1942, some miners used the buildings much more recently. In fact there are active mining claims around the town site and in the surrounding hills.
Located not far from the main town and near the Jicarilla Cemetery, stands the original log school.
A more recent school is also still intact and standing. The cornerstone plaque indicates the year the school was built. Although it’s locked, undoubtedly for the ‘protection’ of visitors, these photos taken through a window show the condition of the interior.
Main Town Site
A few houses and outbuildings are still standing, as well as the old post office.